About Discovery Wharf
In the heart of Stonington harbor, Maine’s highest lobster landings port, fisheries come alive at 13 Atlantic Avenue at our on-site interpretive center called Discovery Wharf. From local school groups to visitors near and far, we offer a get-your-hands-wet opportunity to engage with and learn about local fisheries and the Gulf of Maine marine ecosystem. Discovery Wharf is also a stop on the Downeast Fisheries Trail.
Visiting Discovery Wharf
We are so excited to re-open the doors of Discovery Wharf at Maine Center for Coastal Fisheries. We want to share with you our commitment to keeping you and our staff safe during your visit. These guidelines follow federal, state, and local public health protocols and are subject to change.
This season we will be asking that visitors reserve a time for their group of up to 8 people for a 45-minute visit. This will allow us to keep visitors and staff safe, and to clean the facility between groups.
Hours of Operation: Beginning June 22 we will open Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10:00am – 4:00pm
To Book: Visit www.picktime.com/discoverywharf to complete your booking.
Admission Fee: Discovery Wharf is free, but a suggested donation of $10 per family is greatly appreciated.
Cancellation Policy: We understand that sometimes, unexpected delays can occur, making schedule adjustments. If you need to cancel your appointment, we respectfully request that you call us to cancel your booking at least one day before your scheduled visit. This will allow us to offer your spot to another group. You may call us at 207.367.2708 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm to cancel.
Doing our Part: To ensure the safety of visitors, staff, and our community, we will…
- Limit the number of guests inside our education center to promote a physically distanced and safe environment. Parties that book through our online booking site can include a maximum of eight (8) individuals. There is no minimum.
- Continue to wear masks.
- Discovery Wharf is equipped with an air purifier that uses UV-C light to clean the air of bacteria and viruses on a continual basis.
- Complete frequent and thorough cleaning of all public spaces and exhibition areas will take place after each including: touch wall, guestbook, virtual reality (VR) equipment, and counters at the end of each visit.
- All VR equipment is sanitized with a UV-C sterilizing wand. Guests will be asked to use a protective eye mask when using the virtual reality goggles (eye masks are provided).
- Provide hand sanitizer for guest use.
- Encourage one-way directional flow throughout our building. The handicap accessible ramp is available at any time.
Doing your Part: We ask all visitors to…
- Stay home if you’re not feeling well.
- Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth at all times, except children under two years old. Visitors who, for medical reasons, cannot wear a mask may instead wear a plastic face shield that covers the nose and mouth, extends below the chin and to the ears, and leaves no exposed gap between the forehead and the shield’s headpiece.
- Wash hands often.
- Please do not bring food or beverage inside our facility.
Disclaimer and Waiver:
I acknowledge the contagious nature of the Coronavirus/COVID-19. I further acknowledge that Maine Center for Coastal Fisheries (MCCF) has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of the Coronavirus/COVID-19. I further acknowledge that MCCF cannot guarantee that I will not become infected with the Coronavirus/COVID-19. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to and/or infected by the Coronavirus/COVID-19 may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, MCCF staff, and their families. I acknowledge that I am increasing my risk to exposure to the Coronavirus/COVID-19 and that I must comply with all set procedures to reduce the spread while visiting Discovery Wharf at MCCF.
I hereby release and agree to hold MCCF harmless from, and waive on behalf of myself, my heirs, and any personal representatives any and all causes of action, claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses and compensation for damage or loss to myself and/or property that may be caused by any act, or failure to act of the Discovery Wharf, or that may otherwise arise in any way in connection with my experience. I understand that this release discharges MCCF from any liability or claim that I, my heirs, or any personal representatives may have against the organizations with respect to any bodily injury, illness, death, medical treatment, or property damage that may arise from, or in connection to, any experience at Discovery Wharf. This liability waiver and release extends to MCCF together with all owners, partners, and employees.
What Did You Think?
We want to hear about your experience visiting Discovery Wharf. Let us know how we did by leaving a review on TripAdvisor.
Marine Touch Tank
Explore Maine’s most loved creatures of the deep blue in our live touch tank.
Interactive Touch Wall
Fisheries come to life at your fingertips on our 15 ft interactive touch wall.
Virtual Reality Station
Experience it first hand and get in the action with a collection of 360° virtual reality videos.